We’re in a weird place at the moment with Small Boy’s sleeping. I can’t get him to nap in the afternoon with me at all, despite him grudgingly napping in his bed for his dad or with his friends at nursery. The only way I can get him to sleep is popping him in the car seat and going for a drive.
I was reluctant to do this at first as I didn’t want to gloss over the “I won’t go to sleep for mummy as she’s too much fun” issue, but after several days of us switching between exhaustion and “angry tired” I decide to give it ago. We’ve done it quite a few times now and it turns out not to be a waste of my time. I don’t end up sitting idly in the car.
If you’re ever stuck in a car with a sleeping child, here’s 10 things you can safely do to fill the time
- Get a drive thru coffee, park up and enjoy (if you’re strategically doing this to encourage a nap, you could even take a flask!). If we’re together, my husband and I refer to these as city breaks
- Read a book. It’s a good idea to have one or a magazine in your glove box, or the Kindle app on your phone.
- Listen to a podcast. I currently subscribe to The Jillian Michaels Show and a few other random ones I dip into about business or books, but you can get all sorts.
- Do your online shopping. Get a grocery app and fill your basket, or for fun create a basket in different online stores and compare the cost – it’s an eye opener!
- Plan your meals for the week. Don’t forget to sign up to my newsletter to get a free weekly meal planner and shopping list. You can print it off and plan when you have time.
- Respond to emails and social media. I try to do this in one go rather than when I get alerts as otherwise I get distracted. Kick back and get tweeting.
- Get organised. Sometimes we are so busy doing the stuff that we don’t think about the stuff. If you feel like you don’t have enough time or just too much to do, writing a to-do list can help. Scrawl down what you think you have to do and then scratch out the things that are non-essential. By that I mean things that don’t need to be done you today
- Start a WhatsApp group chat. If you’d got other mummy friends, create a group chat in WhatsApp or your messaging service of choice and start a conversation. It’s easy to let friendships slide when you have kids and if you’ve pals with a small person around the same age, I bet you someone else is sitting in a car park somewhere with a kid that’s sleeping.
- Watch TV – Now TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer… take your pick. The world is literally your oyster when it comes to streaming. If you can connect to WiFi make the most of a subscription or free service and catch up on your favourite show. You can always pop in headphones if you’re worried you’ll wake small person.
- Be still. Just…enjoy… the….silence.
* Ads contain affiliate links*